Title: Director of Sales
Compensation: $125,000 base salary, plus uncapped commission (target = $50k with upside)
Location: Remote, within the U.S.
Solstice is an award-winning clean energy company working to put affordable renewable energy in the hands of every household, including low-income populations and communities of color. The clean energy revolution is happening now; Solstice is working to ensure this transition is equitable and widespread by making it simpler and more affordable than ever for homeowners, businesses, and even renters to go solar.
With surging demand for renewable energy, Solstice is poised for significant scale. As a result, we are seeking an experienced Director of Sales who can take our company to the next level of growth. The ideal candidate is organized, ambitious, mission-driven and a team player. This leader will manage our growing sales organization, which includes a Partnerships team (B2B sales, Energy Brokers and Channel partnerships), and Enrollments team (B2C sales). In addition, this person will have a direct selling role pioneering large enterprise partnerships in order to meet their clean energy needs. The ideal candidate has extensive experience in the clean energy space, is goal and results-oriented, while fostering a people-first mentality with a high level of emotional intelligence.
This role will report to the Vice President of Revenue.
- Directly manage all members of the sales team (currently 10 people) which includes:
- Partnerships team: initiates and cultivates partnerships with entities such as community-based support organizations/ non-profits, municipalities, religious organizations, housing authorities and service organizations, and others, to drive enrollment of their constituencies.
- Channels team: drives sales through third-party organizations that sell on behalf of Solstice, including energy brokers, municipal energy aggregators, and door-to-door organizations.
- Enrollments team: assists customers through the enrollment process for those that do not complete enrollment on their own.
- Enterprise Partnerships: Build relationships with, and serve as the main interlocutor to, large corporate and real estate enterprises for Solstice partnership
- Hold the team accountable to individual and team goals, identify and remove blockers, and conduct regular 1:1s and performance reviews.
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential referral sources and conduct field visits, as well as attend trade shows.
- Create a new Enterprise sales channel that focuses on nationally-based products to socially-concerned, large, multinational corporations.
- Monitor the overall results of selected communities’ sales efforts and make recommendations regarding necessary changes in marketing strategy, external business development initiatives, and community sales performance metrics.
- Effectively coach, mentor, and train sales staff with a focus on relationship-based selling strategies (to include inquiry follow-up, advancement of sales, and handling objections) to community-based partnerships.
- Maintain centralized sales operational processes and structure for the sales team, including scripts, collateral, training materials, playbooks, etc.
- Own overall sales strategy and channel breakdown; analyze and refine the effectiveness of existing sales and outreach approaches.
- Collaborate with the Revenue Operations team on sales forecasts, staffing models, and tracking/analysis of Sales KPIs.
- Collaborate with other departments (including Marketing, Business Development, Customer Success) on cross-functional initiatives (e.g. working with Marketing on creating a delightful customer experience).
- Develop and implement the business plan, and forecast to achieve sales, market share, hit rates and market growth targets to attain overall financial goals, and fulfill all CRM reporting and data quality requirements.
- Assist in establishing business strategies and executing plans for new product introductions
- Interface and manage relationships with solar developer partners during customer acquisition campaigns, reporting on progress to enrollment milestones and trends being seen in the market.
- 2+ years of Clean Energy market experience
- 5+ years of sales management experience
- Experience managing both inbound and outbound sales teams and optimizing call centers
- Demonstrated experience managing both inbound and outbound sales teams and cultivating talent
- Proven sales success using a consultative sales approach, preferably in the clean energy industry
- Experience building relationships with C-level executives (or equivalents) and navigating enterprise-level decision-making landscapes
- Salesforce.com proficiency; Outreach.io and Hubspot experience a plus
- Experience developing sales processes and structures from the ground up
- Track record of structuring, tracking and improving KPIs and metrics
- Previous professional experience growing sales teams within start-up organizations and/or clean energy
- Ability to articulate Solstice’s value proposition to key stakeholders with passion
- Knowledge of and relationships with key stakeholders in Solstice’s current and future geographic regions (Northeast US, specifically NY, IL, NJ and MA)
- Experience selling through third-party partnerships such as brokers and agents
- Experience developing sales processes and structures from the ground up
- Experience working with municipalities, nonprofits, and community outreach organizations
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed
As a Director of Sales, you will gain:
- A deep understanding of the solar and renewable energy space, particularly the rapidly growing community solar industry
- Hands on startup experience in cleantech
- Personal interaction with executive management
- Knowledge that you are positively contributing to environmental and social impact every day in your work: getting clean energy savings to households, deploying more solar projects in the world, and working to create a more just and equitable energy industry
In addition, every Solstice Power Technologies employee enjoys:
- Competitive salary, dental coverage, and inclusive healthcare, including expense reimbursement for out-of-state reproductive care
- 401k with matching
- Professional development annual stipend
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave policy
- Five weeks of PTO a year, including when we close the office for ~1.5 weeks in late December each year
- Flexible personal time to allow employees to run errands and go to doctor’s appointments without taking PTO
- Ability to work remotely from within the United States
- A team of passionate, collaborative, dedicated, and empathetic employees
Solstice was founded to advance equity and inclusion in America. We are committed to living those values, not just in the work we do to promote environmental and energy justice, but in how we grow as an organization. We always seek to expand leadership opportunities for marginalized communities in the global transition to clean energy.
Solstice is an equal-opportunity employer. We hire, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, national origin, genetics, veteran status, or any of the other characteristics that give each of us a unique perspective and capacities.
We’re a team of mission-driven, passionate, and dedicated individuals. We’ve fostered an inclusive and fun culture through monthly outings, solar farm field trips, and all-team strategy retreats throughout the year. Apply today and get to know us!
Job Type : Full-Time
Experience Level : Director
Job Function : Sales